Someone Has to Do it, Might as Well be Me!

Over the past several months I have received numerous emails, comments, and personal suggestions to write a book about the music of the Central Coast.

At first, the prospect seemed too daunting, too ambitious, but as the idea grew on me I wondered, who better than I? I've already written a rock and roll novel, I was in the California music scene as a singer-songwriter-performer for many years, and I know and have met many of our best musicians--famous, infamous, and overlooked alike--but my best qualification is simply that I love the music. I love looking back at those incredible years and when I do, I'm filled with feelings of warmth, pride and excitement, and I'm revisited by that sense we all felt that anything was possible and that our locale added significantly to the larger music scene. It was happening not only in L.A. and San Francisco, but in our own back yard as well, and we were making it happen!

So I've decided to pull myself up to the challenge, which means I'll need help. A lot of help. I'll need to interview people who were involved in the scene back then in all aspects: musicians, managers, DJs, concertgoers, and anyone who would like to contribute their memories and thoughts. I'll also need photographs and stories, observations, bios and "where are they now?" info.

If you would like to participate, please leave a comment to this post, or email me. If you were in a band I especially need to hear from you; I don't want to leave anyone out! I'll be using this site as my primary information source, so be sure to check your band's listing on the Gallery of Bands page and send me any corrections and info you would like included in the book. If your band isn't listed, send me your info and I'll add you to the Gallery.

Surf's up and it's time to groove!
Kaye
__________________________

UPDATE!
I've created a set of surveys that you can fill out, one for bands and one for fans. If you'd like to help, simply click the "Surveys" tab at the top of the page and follow the link that best fits you!

Comments